LOOKING YOUNGER TO COMPETE IN TODAY’S JOB MARKET…Why & How an Image Makeover Can Make a Difference
Part 1 of a 2-Part Series
It’s hard to prove but true: Ageism exists. Age discrimination against older applicants exists in today’s job market. Here are some hard truths:
- In a recent AARP survey of more than 1500 older applicants and employees, 64% said that they have seen or experienced age discrimination in hiring practices and in the workplace. Of these, fully 93% felt that it is quite common.
- Many baby-boomers who are not getting job offers or even interviews suspect that they are victims of age discrimination.
- Many employers believe common stereotypes about older workers: that they’re not technologically up to date…that they need higher salaries and more benefits…that they don’t have the energy to compete…and that they don’t work well with younger supervisors. In the words of one hiring manager: “Older people have a harder time adapting to newer technologies. I’d rather not spend the time training them.”
If you’re an older job seeker, it probably won’t be enough to rely on being well groomed, speaking well, and dressing professionally. Or to stress your experience, drive and skill sets in an interview. Prospective employers will wonder about your age. And since they cannot, by law, ask
1) How old you are,
2) What your birth date is,
3) How old your children are, or
4) When you graduated from high school or college, they will have just one criterion for judging: your looks.
So investing in an image makeover can be a smart, solid career move. You can take initial steps like coloring your hair, changing your hairstyle, and refreshing your wardrobe. If you’re overweight and out of shape, you can start eating healthier, drinking more water, and doing light exercise like walking briskly.
And you can take advantage of professional anti-aging treatments to help eradicate or at least ameliorate such red-flag age-giveaways as:
1) Crow’s Feet
2) Forehead Furrows
3) Under-eye Bags, Rings or Dark Circles
4) Age Spots
5) Sallow, Blotchy Skin
6) Jowls and Double Chins
Revisit these web pages for a follow-up article in this series that will further discuss each of these treatments and how it can help you land your ideal job. Coverage will include what the treatment involves, what you need to know about effects and down time, and approximate costs.
Or, for more immediate information, call AgeFocus for a free consultation. Call 631-243-3628 today for an appointment.