Toxic emotions could not only make you a disagreeable person, and make your interpersonal life difficult, but they can also compromise your well-being and shorten your lifespan.
Positive emotions, on the other hand, can play a key role in countering the decline in the cardiovascular, neuroendocrine and immune systems that hasten aging and increase the risk of disease and death.
The good news is that by making changes in your emotional “climate,” you can reverse aging by up to 17 years. According to anti-aging endocrinologist, Dr. Michael Galitzer, the biggest obstacle to people’s health is stress. You can detoxify, eat right and exercise. But getting your emotional and mental health in order is the most important measure you can take to slow down the natural aging process.
Studies show that an optimistic outlook helps to combat stress. People with stronger positive emotions have lower levels of chemicals associated with inflammations related to stress. The evidence also suggests that the adaptation of a positive attitude may help to reverse some of the physical damage caused by stress.
Here are some measures you can take toward fostering more positive emotions and creating a healthier attitude and more zestful lifestyle.
1. Let go of toxic emotions with a qualified therapist or certified coach.
2. Let go of clutter. Create a peaceful, harmonious, more functional environment at home.
3. Let go of rushing. Plan your routines and your comings and goings for a more relaxed, measured way of life.
4. Exercise at least four times a week. Choose an activity you enjoy.
5. Meditate or take a peaceful nature walk every day.
6. Surround yourself with positive, successful people. Be one yourself.
7. Find your passion, either in or beyond the workaday world. Actualize it to improve your personal world and the world at large.
And, remember, happy people are 35% less likely to get sick. They live, on average, seven years longer. And they earn a million dollars more over the course of their lifetime.
Aren’t those greater incentives?